Choosing SImmetry SI Joint Fusion
SI joint dysfunction affects more than your quality of life, it hurts your overall health and well-being. So if conservative treatments have failed, surgery may be an appropriate solution. With the minimally invasive SImmetry SI joint fusion procedure, you can have real hope for relief, and a return to the active life you enjoy.
Minimally Invasive SI Joint Fusion Surgery
The goal of SI joint fusion is to relieve the symptoms of SI joint dysfunction by eliminating movement in the joint. This is accomplished in two ways:
- Immediate fixation – By placing an implant across the joint, the joint is instantly immobilized and long-term healing, or fusion, can begin.
- True SI joint fusion – Fixation is one component of a fusion, but the only way to ensure relief lasts is to grow new, solid bone across the joint. This requires the surgeon to prepare joint surfaces with special instruments that trigger the body to grow bone, and insert a substance called bone graft into the joint that works as a scaffold for bone to grow through.
About the SImmetry® System
Your surgeon may choose to use the SImmetry Sacroiliac Joint Fusion System for your surgery because it offers all of the advantages of minimally invasive technology along with the benefit of true SI joint fusion. For decades, surgeons have trusted a few simple steps, or principles, to get the best possible results from a fusion. SImmetry is the minimally invasive SI joint fusion system that includes all three critical steps to achieve a true fusion.
Learn the three critical steps needed to achieve a true SI joint fusion and how SImmetry® accomplishes these goals while maintaining the integrity of the muscles and ligaments that surround the SI joint – which means better stability and faster recovery.
- Decortication — Preparing the bone surface to trigger the body’s natural healing response.
- Bone Grafting — Filling the space between bones with material bone may grow across.
- Fixation — Placing threaded implants that prevent the joint from moving during the healing process.
Benefits of the SImmetry® SI Joint Fusion System
Minimally invasive SI joint fusion surgery using SImmetry® typically takes under an hour to perform, has fewer post-operative complications than open surgery and involves:
- General anesthesia
- Minimal blood loss
- A small incision—typically only a few centimeters—on the side of the buttock
- Little to no disruption of critical muscle and ligaments stabilizing the SI joint
- Brief hospital stay—Your doctor will decide how long you should stay in the hospital, but most people can go home after one or two days.
- Short limited weight bearing recovery period
- True SI joint arthrodesis
Find a Doctor
You’ve got a life to live, and it’s time SI joint dysfunction stopped getting in your way. SI joint surgery is an option to get your life back on track. SImmetry offers surgeons some of the most advanced, least invasive techniques available today to minimize recovery time and maximize chances for a successful outcome. Everyone is different, and as with any medical procedure, results vary. But by considering the SImmetry procedure, you’ve taken the first step to resolving your problem. You have every reason to hope for better days ahead.
The SImmetry® Sacroiliac Joint Fusion System is available by prescription only. Ask your doctor to provide details on the indications, contraindications, warnings and precautions.