SImmetry® & Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
Physicians have many options today for dealing with SI joint dysfunction. SImmetry Sacroiliac Joint Fusion is the system that follows proven orthopedic principles to promote true intra-articular arthrodesis for optimal patient outcomes. The SImmetry System consists of a range of threaded, cannulated implants and associated instrumentation designed to transfix the sacrum and ilium and create the conditions needed for bony growth across the SI joint.
Over 20% of all chronic low back pain (LBP) may be attributed to the Sacroiliac Joint. In fact, there are reports that the sacroiliac joint is the most likely source of low back pain after lumbar fusion. However, because SI joint issues often mimic discogenic or radicular LBP, many patients suffering from SI joint dysfunction may be overlooked. As diagnostic procedures continue to be better understood, and physicians become more confident in minimally invasive SI joint fusion technologies, this situation is improving.
Unlike traditional, open fusion of the SI joint, which is complex, has a high complication rate, and generally poor outcomes, the SImmetry System offers:
True SI Joint Arthrodesis
- Minimally invasive access to the SI joint under fluoroscopic guidance. The SImmetry provides safe passage of instruments and implants through soft tissue.
- Proper site preparation, including cartilage removal and decortication with the SImmetry Decorticator™, promotes true intra-articular fusion.
- Precise bone graft placement via grafting instruments that are versatile enough accommodate a variety of bone graft materials, enabling you to mix harvested autologous bone with graft and deliver them to the prepared joint.
- Controlled, anatomically driven implantation of the SImmetry construct is possible due to threaded implant design and over-the-wire insertion, allowing trajectories to be adapted to patient anatomy and reducing the likelihood of SI joint distraction or nerve impingement.
Learn more about:
Diagnosing Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction – The symptoms associated with sacroiliac joint dysfunction are often very similar to symptoms of other conditions in the lumbar spine, especially discogenic or facetogenic pain. Understanding the differences may help streamline patient exams, ensuring the correct diagnosis and opportunity for most effective treatment.
True Sacroiliac Joint Arthrodesis for SI Joint Dysfunction – Learn about the proprietary SImmetry Decorticator™ and surgical technique of the SImmetry system, the system specifically designed to help you create a true SI joint arthrodesis.
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction Clinical Data –Study information, clinical research and other information associated with the SImmetry Sacroiliac Joint Fusion System.
Patients experiencing symptoms of sacroiliac joint dysfunction may gain the long-term relief they seek through the SImmetry system. Designed to stabilize the SI joint, SImmetry offers the potential for your patients to return to an active lifestyle and to regain their ability to perform the daily tasks that keep life moving forward.
Rx Only. For indications, contraindications, warnings and precautions, refer to the product Instructions for Use.
Benefits of the SImmetry SI Joint Fusion System for the Treatment of Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
Minimally invasive surgery using SImmetry typically takes less than one hour to perform, has fewer post-operative complications than open SI joint fusion surgery and involves:
- Minimal blood loss
- Small incisions—typically only a few centimeters—on one side of the buttock
- Little to no disruption of critical muscle and ligaments which stabilize the SI joint
- Brief hospital stay
- Short limited weight bearing recovery period
- True SI joint arthrodesis